Medical Students' Center
Summary: Welcome to home base for medical students training in Samaritan Medical Centers.
READ THIS to begin your Psychiatry rotation;
return to it anytime.
It includes information on expectations, grading, and recommended resources.
The rest of the page below provides links to important resources you'll use during this rotation.
Interview Chart-Review Guide: what information to gather from the chart before new patient evaluation
Psychotherapy: a webpage describing forms of psychotherapy and how to learn about them on this rotation
Aptius Instructions : a guide to using our televideo system for observing psychotherapy
Interview templates: optional Word documents to use while interviewing patients
Formal Goals/Objectives: a webpage detailing what we're expecting this rotation to accomplish
Evaluation Form: a Word document your supervisors will be asked to complete, regarding your work on this rotation
Primary Care Screening Tools
- SBIRT: the Oregon program for annual screening for depression, alcohol, and drug use problems.
Everyone gets one yearly. You may be asked to do some of this screening in your primary care clinic.
- PHQ-9: introduction and everything else you need, from the McArthur Foundation Primary Care Toolkit
This is the follow-on screening tool for those who screen positive on the SBIRT PHQ-2.
University of Washington Primary Care Mental Health Webinars
- Motivational Interviewing (MI Readiness for Change Ruler)
- Behavioral Activation Therapy
- Entire menu of talks
Samaritan Mental Health
- YouTube videos of things you may not see
- Carl Rogers' classic interview
- Online Problem-solving Therapy (from the Veteran's Administration; free to all)
- Social Anxiety: great intro video, from diagnosis to treatment
- Great 10-minute video on Cognitive Behavioral approach to hoarding (scroll to "Downward Arrow" technique)
- Great description of Interpersonal Psychotherapy
- Blueprints Series' Psychiatry text ($43)
- Dr. Lissman's list of useful documents
(click the paperclip, the right-most of the icons, for MOCA, DSM at a glance, MoodCheck, C/L guidelines, and more)
- Treatment of Maladaptive Aggression in Youth (T-MAY): a system for evaluation and treatment of aggression in kids
Guides for Faculty